These golden delectables, in the Chinese New Year tradition, are meant to symbolize wealth and prosperity for the upcoming year. That is because they look like mini gold bars. I don’t know about you, but these are the tastiest gold bars ever.
It takes awhile to make all these bad boys, so put on some tunes or an audiobook. Also for a speedier process, try to recruit some ghouls and goblins for an assembly line of epic proportions.
- 1 Frying pan
- Food Processor (Optional)
- Piping or Ziplock bag (Optional)
- 1 Lb Ground pork Or the ground protein of your choice
- 1 Cup Shrimp (Minced) (An optional added protein choice) (Peel and devein if needed)
- 1 Package Spring Roll or Egg Roll Wrapper (Important - Make sure it is NOT rice paper wrapper!)
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Small Onion (Or half a medium onion)
- 1 Can Water Chestnuts (Minced)
- 1 Cup Carrots (Minced)
- 2-3 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- Oil for frying
- Filling:1. In.a large bowl - Combine thawed ground pork or meat of your choice with the garlic, onion, chestnuts, carrots, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and ONE egg.1 Lb Ground pork, 1 Cup Shrimp (Minced), 5 Cloves Garlic, 1 Small Onion, 1 Can Water Chestnuts, 1 Cup Carrots, 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce, 3 Tbsp Oyster Sauce, 2-3 Eggs
- 2. Mix thoroughly - the most convenient way to combine the ingredients is to, in our humble opinion, use your hands.
- 3. Use a spoon or flat utensil to scoop the filling onto the wrapper. However, another neat option is to use a piping bag or ziplock bag with a hole cut in the corner to pipe the filling onto the wrapper. Tip: Use a cup to hold your bag, so that filling it may be easier.
- Egg Wash:1. Make an egg wash mixture by cracking an egg into a small ball and stirring in 1 Tbsp of water. Set aside.
- Wrapping (See video for an example)1. Take a wrapper sheet and place it in front of you, with one point of the square facing you. It should resemble a diamond.
- 2. Next place about a Tbsp of filling midway on the sheet, horizontally. You want to have filling almost touching the left and right sides of the sheet.
- 3. Fold the point of the sheet facing you over the filling And tuck under. Then take the left and right side points and fold towards the center.
- 4. Using a brush or your fingers, brush egg wash onto the remaining point at the top. This is to seal the roll.
- 5. Next roll up the spring roll so that it looks like a cylinder. Set aside.
- 6. Repeat wrapping steps until all the filling or sheets are used up.
- Cooking:1. Preheat oil in a frying pan to medium - high heat.
- 2. Cook the spring rolls until golden brown.
- 3. Place cooked spring rolls on paper towels or cookie rack to remove the excess grease.
- 4. Enjoy with preferred dipping sauce - ketchup, duck sauce, sweet chili sauce, or even banana ketchup.