Now I know it might sound weird but there’s this trend going around using chicken as the base for your pizza toppings. Odd, but it works! It’s gluten free and the canned chicken breast we used has 13g of protein! But wait there’s more – it also tastes DELICIOUS!!
It’s three simple ingredients -a whole chicken breast in a can, an egg and Parmesan cheese (which is optional for those lactose intolerant foodies out there). If I would do this over I would use a low sodium chicken breast in a can. (Don’t mix it with whole chicken in a can, which exists, go for the shredded chicken breast – looks like tuna.) We used shredded Parmesan cheese, but grated works fine too. Once you make the base the topping possibilities are endless!
Example Pizzas We Made
We used one can to make 3 small pizzas about 6 inches in diameter. Have fun with the sizes, bite sized even. Just remember the thinner it is the crispier it gets. We made them about a 1/4 inch in height.
The first of the three was an all meat pizza with pasta sauce, shredded Mexican four cheese, turkey sausage and turkey pepperoni. The sausage came from breakfast turkey sausage patties ripped up into abou pea sized pieces.
The second was a “Grandma” style pizza with extra pasta sauce, mozzarella pearls (that I flattened a bit) and fresh basil. On hindsight I would have added more mozzarella, just because it was that good.
The third was a “supreme.” It was everything but the kitchen sink and it was my absolute favorite – pepperoni, sausage, pasta sauce, cheese, black olives, green pepper, and red onion.
I also had spinach on hand which I didn’t end up using this time around. But I’ve made a spinach pizza with the chicken base before and it is definitely another fantastic option. I do want to try a bacon ranch pizza, or buffalo chicken pizza, or even a Caesar salad chicken pizza. This is something to think about especially when you have leftovers around and want something creative to do with it. Ooooo Mac and cheese pizza…
I hope you try it, IT’S GUUD!
Chicken “dough” Pizza
- 1 Can Chicken Breast
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese Grated or shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Drain water from the canned chicken. Add chicken to a bowl and mix thoroughly with egg and Parmesan cheese.
- On a parchment lined roasting sheet make a 1/4 inch flat disc. You can make as many discs as your heart desires that are about 1/4 inch in height with the amount of chicken mixture you have.
- Put your disc(s) into the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. The thicker your pizza disc the longer it will take to brown. You can keep them in longer to make them crispier as well.
- Once the base is to your desired “done-ness”, remove from oven and add your toppings. Keep the oven on as you will need to finish cooking your pizza.
- This is the step where you can have fun with your pizza. We used a basic tomato pasta sauce, but go for ranch, Alfredo or buffalo sauce. We also added Mexican four cheese, the type of cheese you use is up to you. The deliciousness of your pizza is your choice - may the odds be ever in your favor.
Final Pizza Step
- Cook your pizza with the toppings in the oven for another 15-20 minutes. We cooked ours until the cheese was just turning brown and bubbling. Again depending on your oven and how you like your cheese, the cook time will vary.